The Heritage Council
Áras na hOidhreachta, Church Lane, Kilkenny, Ireland
GPS coordinates: N52.6495 W7.2568
+353 (0)56 7770777
The Bishop's Palace is the Heritage Council's national headquarters.
Construction of the Bishop's Palace started circa AD 1350 under Bishop Richard Ledred, who was a constroversial bishop made famous by the Alice Kytler witchtrial. Further works were carried out over the centuries and today the building is eighteenth century, or Georgian, in appearance. The stair hall — with its elaborate carved timber balustrades, Venetian windows, panelled walls and plasterwork ceiling — was designed to impress in 1739, and it still does today. Throughout, the multiple layers of the building's history are presented within the framework of its eighteenth-century character.
As the new headquarters for the Heritage Council, an important part of Kilkenny’s built heritage has been preserved for the future. This impressive HQ has played host to numerous talks and lectures over the years such as Bob and Roberta Smith and our Visual Art Curator Josephine Kelihers artistic walking tour of our fair city in recent years
The Heritage Council offices are located at Church Lane, Kilkenny. Church Lane is the laneway surrounding St Canice’s Cathedral. Access to Church Lane is gained via Dean Street.
There is no parking at this venue. Please use Dean St carpark.